What Essential Oils are Good for Muscle Cramps? Muscle cramps are a common ailment that can be the result of overexercising or dehydration. Getting a massage is a great way to alleviate painful muscle cramps. Adding essential oils to your massage can have an even greater effect of relieving pain from muscle cramps.
The best essential oils that can be used to treat muscle cramps are chamomile essential oil, peppermint essential oil, and lavender essential oil.
What Essential Oils are Good for Muscle Cramps?
Using Chamomile Essential Oil for Muscle Cramps
Chamomile is an herb that is often used to help people relax and unwind. People use chamomile in hot tea and as an essential oil. Chamomile essential oil is frequently used to treat muscle cramps and is very effective.
Here is how to apply chamomile essential oil to relieve muscle cramps.
- Combine the chamomile essential oil with a carrier oil or unscented lotion of your choice. Diluting the essential oil is important because essential oils are very potent and may cause a rash.
- Massage the essential oil mixture into the area of the body that is cramping.
After massaging the chamomile essential oil mixture into the affected area, the pain from the cramping will ease. The combination of the massage and the chamomile essential oil will help relax the muscles and reduce cramping.
Using Peppermint Essential Oil for Muscle Cramps
Peppermint essential oil is commonly used in meditation practices to increase energy, reduce stress, and increase concentration. Peppermint oil can also help reduce the stress in the muscles when massaged into a cramping area.
Using peppermint essential oil to reduce cramping is ideal for people who want to relieve cramps but still need the energy to do other things throughout the day.
Here is how to use peppermint oil to treat muscle cramps:
- Mix the peppermint essential oil with your choice of carrier oil and rub the mixture into the affected area
- Diffuse the peppermint essential in the air while conducting stretches to relieve muscle cramps. The peppermint oil will help relieve stress and relax muscles.
Peppermint essential oil is used in many practices and is renowned for its stress-relieving properties. Relieving stress is the best way to relieve and prevent muscle cramps because when stressed people often subconsciously tense their muscles.
Using Lavender Essential Oil for Muscle Cramps
Lavender essential oil is often used to help people get to sleep. Lavender essential oil is one of the most relaxing essential oils on the market. The best time to use lavender essential oil to relieve muscle cramps is before bedtime because it can help induce sleep.
Lavender Essential Oil Uses for Muscle Cramping
Keeping your muscles relaxed is the best way to treat and prevent cramping. Use lavender essential oil to relieve muscle cramping before bed.
Here are the best ways to use lavender essential oil to help relieve muscle cramping before bed.
- Take a hot shower or bath to relax the muscles. After you get out of the shower mix the lavender essential oil with your choice of carrier oil and massage it into the affected areas.
- Keep an essential oil diffuser in the bedroom and use it to diffuse your lavender oil. Diffusing lavender essential oil while you sleep will help keep your body relaxed and prevent or reduce muscle cramping in your sleep.
Using lavender essential oil may cause drowsiness throughout the day, see how it affects you, you can blend with peppermint to help counteract any sleepiness. Peppermint essential oil would is a great option if you are looking to increase energy while relieving muscle cramps.
Final Thoughts on Using Essential Oils to Relieve Muscle Cramps
Essential oils are a great way to relieve muscle cramps. You can use the essential oil to either keep your muscles relaxed from the aroma or use the essential oils in a massage to relieve muscle cramps that way. There are many natural methods to help relieve muscle cramps and using essential oils can have many hidden benefits.
Many different essential oils can be used to relieve muscle cramps. Peppermint oil is best used during the day because it is known to boost energy and relieve stress. Chamomile essential oil can be used any time of day and is known medicinally to reduce muscle spasms and ease muscle cramps. Lavender essential oil is best used the night before bed to relieve muscle cramps because lavender essential oil can induce drowsiness.