If you are wondering what is a good carrier oil for essential oils, you can learn more about that in this post. A carrier oil is a vegetable or nut oil that is used to dilute essential oils before they are applied to the skin. Carrier oils help to spread the essential oil evenly over the skin and improve absorption.
Some of the most popular carrier oils include jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, and fractionated coconut oil. A carrier oil can also help to reduce the skin irritation caused by potent essential oils. It also extends the oil’s use, regulates the absorption rate, and covers a greater area of skin than other surfaces.
What are Carrier Oils?
Carrier oils can be oils that are mixed with essential oils. They help to dilute essential oils’ potency and alter their absorption rate. This makes it safer for topical use. Carrier oils can be used to spread essential oils over a wider area. Carrier oils can also be beneficial as they slow down the rate at which the oil evaporates, increasing the oil’s positive effects.
4 Best Carrier Oils for Roller Bottles and Aromatherapy Blends
What Is a Good Carrier Oil for Essential Oils?
The best way to use carrier oils with essential oils is to add a few drops of essential oil to a tablespoon of carrier oil. You can then apply the mixture to your skin.
1. Coconut Carrier Oil
Coconut oil is a wonderful moisturizer and a good carrier oil for essential oils. Coconut oil is light and easily absorbed into the skin and hair. Coconut oil is a great carrier oil for people with sensitive skin. Coconut oil can be used as a carrier oil to help you dilute essential oils and provide additional moisturizing properties.
Coconut Oil is Best Used as a Carrier Oil for:
- Skin moisturizer: Coconut oil’s chemical composition makes it easy to penetrate the skin well and deeply. Coconut oil is extremely moisturizing.
- Body scrub: For a natural scrub, combine essential oils with fractionated coconut oil and sugar
- Topical application: You can mix coconut oil with essential oils to make it safer to apply to the desired areas.
- Hair care: For natural hair conditioner, combine fractionated coconut oil and your favourite essential oils.
Tip: Search for fractionated coconut oil, this type is best for essential oils. Virgin Coconut oil can remain solid at room temperatures, making it difficult to use for carrier oils. It also has a strong coconut aroma that competes with essential oils.
Fractionation of coconut oil removes the long-chain fat acids that cause it to solidify. This allows it to remain liquid at lower temperatures while still maintaining its moisturizing properties. Fractionated coconut oil is unscented as well, which is another positive since it will allow your essential oil scents to come through clearly.
2. Sweet Almond Oil
Almond oil is well-known for its high levels of vitamins A, D and E. This makes it an excellent choice for skin care. Almond oil may be beneficial in the relief of certain skin conditions.
Sweet Almond Oil is Best Used as a Carrier Oil for:
- Use in combination with other carrier oils: Almond oil can be used to lighten heavier oils and make them more absorbable.
- Bath oil: As a carrier oil, almond oil can be a great option for essential oil-based bath oil. This allows for increased moisturizing and maximizes the benefits of essential oils. Use caution when bathing with oils to avoid slipping in the tub or shower.
- Skin moisturizer: Almond oil is a moisturizing and easily absorbable carrier oil that can be used to make natural essential oil-based lotions or massage oils.
- Use for topical applications: Almond oil is an excellent carrier oil for simple topical essential oils application such as massage oils. It has a mild scent and leaves no greasy residue.
3. Avocado Oil
Avocado oil is a rich source of nutrients and has a very mild scent. This makes it an excellent addition to essential oil blends. Avocado oil is rich in nutrients and contains Vitamins A, B., D., E, as well as beta carotenes. Avocado oil is thicker than other carrier oils and therefore better to use as a supplement to them than as a standalone product.
Avocado Oil is Best Used as a Carrier Oil for:
- Skin moisturizer: Avocado oil is an excellent addition to a skin moisturizer that is essential oil-based because it is rich in nutrients.
- Hair moisturizer: Avocado oil is thicker than other carrier oils. This means that you don’t want to use it as the base for your essential oil-based hair moisturizing product. It can be used with another carrier oils to nourish and smoothen hair.
Tip: Avocado oil can be heavy and thick so it is often combined with lighter carrier oils to enhance skin nutrients and moisturizing properties.
4. Argan Oil
Argan oil can be made by pressing the kernels from a Moroccan argan tree. Argan oil is rich with vitamins A, E, and monounsaturated fat acids. Argan oil is well-known for its healing and moisturizing properties. It is a carrier oil that can be used to moisturize the skin and provide nutrients for damaged or aging hair.
Argan Oil is Best Used as a Carrier Oil for:
- Skin moisturizer: Argan oil, which is rich in vitamin E and fatty acids, is an excellent carrier for essential oil-based moisturizers. Argan oil is a great choice for those with sensitive skin.
- Anti-aging: Argan oil has a high level of nutrients, making it an excellent choice for natural essential oils anti-aging skin products.
- Hair moisturizer: As a hair moisturizer, argan oil is gaining popularity in the cosmetics sector.
5. Jojoba Oil
Even though jojoba technically isn’t an oil, it can be used as a carrier for essential oils. It moisturizes pores without clogging them, prolongs the life of essential oils, and is hypoallergenic, making it suitable for people with sensitive skin. Jojoba isn’t an oil so it won’t stain fabrics or clothes like other carrier oils.
Jojoba Oil is Best Used as a Carrier Oil for:
- Rollerball for topical use: Jojoba can be used in a rollerball for topically applying essential oils at the correct dilution. This will allow you to retain the essence of essential oils, allowing you to reap its benefits for longer.
- Skin moisturizer: Jojoba is moisturizing but doesn’t clog pores. This makes it an excellent addition to an essential oil-based moisturizer.
- Bath oil: Jojoba can also be used to transport essential oils for use in bath oils. This allows essential oils to last longer and provides moisturizing benefits.
Best Carrier Oil for Essential Oils
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best carrier oil for essential oils will vary depending on the oil itself. However, some general guidelines include using carrier oils that are cold-pressed, unrefined, and organic whenever possible. Some popular carrier oils include jojoba oil, coconut oil, and sweet almond oil.
Share on Pinterest